Elizabeth O’Sullivan drops out of Education Race

The TCDSU Education race is now uncontested, with Catherine Arnold as the sole candidate

Elizabeth O’Sullivan has dropped out of the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) leadership race.

Chair of the Electoral Commission (EC) Emma Gallagher confirmed to Trinity News that O’Sullivan dropped out of the race.

Speaking to Trinity News, O’Sullivan said “After careful consultation with my team we determined that the timing was not optimal.”

According to O’Sullivan, the role of education officer “requires a candidate who can dedicate time and resources which I unfortunately do not have at the moment”.

O’Sullivan is a Senior Fresh political science student.

Gallagher confirmed that the education race is now uncontested. Senior Sophister sociology and philosophy student Catherine Arnold is now the sole candidate running for education officer.

O’Sullivan wished Arnold the “best of luck” and said she was confident Arnold “will do the role justice”.

There are now four uncontested sabbatical races. The welfare officer race, the communications and marketing officer race and the University Times editor race are also uncontested.

The candidates for the 2023 Sabbatical Election were announced on the steps of House 6 on February 3 by Gallagher.

A two-week campaign period is scheduled to begin on Monday, February 20, with voting closing on Thursday, March 2. The outcome of the election will be announced on the evening of March 2.

Ellen Kenny

Ellen Kenny is the current Deputy Editor of Trinity News and a Senior Sophister student of Politics and Sociology. She previously served as Assistant Editor and Features Editor