Zöe Cummins to speak at Hustings and campaign, despite being struck off the ballot

The EC has confirmed at Equality Hustings this evening that Cummins and campaign team have chosen the appeals board process, rather than appealing the ruling at Council

Zöe Cummins is to continue campaigning and participating in Hustings, despite being struck from the ballot earlier today.

Speaking before Equality Hustings, Chair of the Electoral Commission (EC) Emma Gallagher said that Cummins’ campaign team have chosen to appeal the decision to an Appeals Board rather than at Council this evening.

According to the TCDSU Constitution, Chapter 7.4.2, an Appeals Board shall be convened in the event of a candidate being eliminated.

Candidates are still permitted to campaign and take part in Hustings, while pending an appeal from the Appeals Board.

Cummins will be permitted to participate in hustings until the Appeals Board makes a ruling. A meeting of the Appeals Board will take place tomorrow morning, where Cummins’ team will appeal the decision of the EC. 

This article was updated at 6:37pm.