Aiesha Wong elected as Comms and Marketing officer for 2023/24

Wong ran uncontested for the position and earned 86.81% of the vote

Aiesha Wong has been elected as Communications and Marketing officer for 2023/24.

Wong will take up her role as the Trinity College Dublin Students Union (TCDSU) officer on July 1 2023, alongside the other five officers. 

Wong ran uncontested for the position and earned 86.8% of the vote, with re-open nominations (RON)  receiving 13.19% of the vote. 

In a poll conducted by Trinity News, Wong was predicted to receive 87.74% of the votes. The remaining 8.86% of votes in the poll were spent on votes on RON votes. However, from the total of 455 votes in the poll, 42.64% remained undecided.

In previous years, Wong held the position of Public Relations Officer (PRO) for various societies, such as Trinity Women in Law, Trinity Women and Gender Minorities Review, and Trinity Law Outreach Society, among others outlined in her manifesto. 

Wong is a half Irish-Chinese, final year law and politics student from Clarehall. Her campaign focused largely on sponsorships, accessibility and transparency. 

Wong also focused on “demystifying” the union. Wong spoke about engagement extensively at Media Hustings last week about this topic stating:  “I think the main reason that people don’t engage with the union is because people feel it’s not for them.” She also said that in her own experience, she saw the members of the council as “people who did secondary school debating”. Wong emphasised her focus on “demystifying the union,” stating that: “I have that experience as someone who’s an outsider.”

Also this evening Olivia Orr and Clara Roche were announced as the Ents officer and the UT Editor for 2023 sabbatical elections respectively. 

Kate Henshaw

Kate Henshaw is current Editor-in-Chief of Trinity News, and a graduate of Sociology and Social Policy. She previously served as Deputy Editor, News Editor and Assistant News Editor.