Former Trinity student invites student participation in for International Youth Forum on peace

The forum aims to discuss various issues surrounding the topic of conflict resolution

A Trinity alumnus and academic based in Matej Bel University in Slovakia has invited Trinity students to participate in a virtual panel discussion surrounding the topic of conflict resolution.

In an email sent by the School of Histories and Humanities, James Ó Conaill, an Irish-language lecturer, informed students of the International Student Forum which takes place on May 3. 

Forum participants will have the opportunity to explore and discuss emerging challenges in the realm of global peace and security and suggest peacebuilding approaches to address these challenges.

The forum is described as a platform to “gather, network and discuss themes and current issues related to peace, conflicts, and security, to partner with each other to work towards peace together”.

The theme of this year’s forum is “Youth for Peace: The Voice of Peace Has Power”, and plans to discuss a broad range of topics such as the role of youth as peacemakers and the impact of the war in Ukraine on global peace and security. 

While the International Student Forum aims to bring together participants from Slovak, Ukrainian and American universities, Ó Conaill, who received a B.A in Irish Studies from Trinity in 2017, notes that the forum may be of particular interest to Irish students given the upcoming 25th anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, adding that it would be “wonderful to have representation from Trinity at the forum”.

Irish students that participate in the forum will discuss issues surrounding conflict resolution with students from Matej Bel University (MBU) in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, Borys Grinchenko Kyiv University, Ukraine and Eastern Michigan University (EMICH), in the USA. 

Both speakers and attendees will receive a certification for participation in the International Student Forum.

Kate Byrne

Kate Byrne is the Deputy Comment Editor at Trinity News and is currently in her Junior Sophister Year studying History and Political Science.