10 things I would tell my first year self

Éilís Ní hÉalaithe’s tips for newcomers

Four years ago I walked into Trinity for the first time as a student. What have I learnt since then? Apart from the few academic bits that have wedged themselves into the back of my head (half-baked economics graphs and a tenuous grasp of what ‘democracy’ really means), below are the ten key pieces of wisdom I’ve gained over the years. 

1. Don’t be shy. Coming into college can feel overwhelming, and often it seems like everyone knows what they are doing except you. This is absolutely not true. Especially in first year, everyone is only trying to adjust. So don’t be afraid to ask someone you met in Freshers week out for a coffee, or to put your hand up in a tutorial, or go to a society event alone. Go to office hours if you don’t understand something in class. People won’t eat you. I promise. 

“You will save money and time by just getting the books you need for free.”

1. The library is your friend. Oh my God. This one is so easy. Please, do not do what I did and wait until second year before taking a book out of the library because you never learned how to use the machine. Figure out how to use the printers, and don’t be afraid to ask if you’re unsure of something. You will save money and time by just getting the books you need for free. Also, please try to do your readings the week beforehand, it makes life much easier. 
  1. Pesto pasta is an emergency dinner only. If your dinner does not have at least one vegetable (even some potatoes), then it is not a real dinner. Please, learn how to cook 3-4 simple dinners and make them regularly. If, like a lot of students, you decide to go vegetarian or vegan, make sure you learn how to do this properly and replace the things you cut out (lentils and chickpeas are your new best friends, and don’t forget your vitamins (and iron for my anemic friends). 
  1. Don’t date someone in your course. This can only end two ways. First, you live happily ever after. Second, you will spend months in tutorials with someone who led you to sob, on the floor, while Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘Good 4 U’ topped your Spotify On Repeat on Valentine’s Day. Same rule applies for work colleagues/housemates etc. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. 
  1. Buy a menstrual cup. You will save SO much money. 
  1. Go for a run. This does not have to be fast and it does not have to be far. But at least some form of exercise will really help with your physical and mental health. 
  1. Not everything will feel like the ‘best time of your life’. While college is arguably one of the best experiences you can have, meeting new friends and living independently for the first time, this can sometimes lead to a sense of pressure that you have to be having fun all of the time, replaced by a strong sense of FOMO if you are not. Know that not all your time in college will be the ‘best time of your life’ (see point no. 4), and that’s okay. You will get through it. 
  1. Go for Schols. Obviously, only if you have the capacity to take on the extra work. But this is one of the few exams you can fail with absolutely no consequences, and the potential of a huge reward if you do well. 

“Don’t be afraid to run for committee positions and remember that everyone has to start somewhere, so don’t be put off if you think you don’t know enough going in.”

1. Join societies. You will hear this a lot, but really, it is one of the best ways to get involved and make new friends. Don’t be afraid to run for committee positions and remember that everyone has to start somewhere, so don’t be put off if you think you don’t know enough going in. Worst case scenario you don’t like it and leave with no obligation to go back. Best case scenario you learn loads, make new friends, and add a few lines to your CV.
  1. Calm down. You will inevitably meet the type of people who are on 12 society committees and get up at 5.30am to ‘grind’. While this is great for them, success looks different for everyone, and you are not behind just because you don’t do these things. Think of how much work you put in to get here, and give yourself a pat on the back. You’re doing fine.