364 bed Ballymun student accommodation gets go-ahead

Construction is expected to begin later this year

Photo by Joe McCallion

Planning permission has been granted to a Ballymun student accommodation project after by the Dublin City Council.

The “North Quarter” development will consists of a large Lidl store with attached office space, cafes, retail units, a car park and the student accommodation. 364 students will be spread throughout two blocks located on the corner of Ballymun Road and Balbutcher Lane.

According to FM104, Alan Barry, Lidl Property Director, commented on the granted planning permission and the Lidl development, before saying: “The student accommodation blocks will help to satisfy some of the huge demand for purpose built student residences serving Dublin City University (DCU) and other third level colleges.”

Work is expected to begin later this year provided that the application is not appealed to An Bord Pleanála, which Barry stated could “jeopardise job creation and investment in the Ballymun area”.

The current effort to combat the student housing crisis is the Strategic Housing Development system, which allows for student accommodation applications to be reviewed at a faster rate. The regulation allows for any proposed student development of over 100 homes or blocks of 200 beds to circumvent local ordinances.

Irish universities including University College Dublin (UCD) and University College Cork (UCC) have applied to build accommodation under this new system, with three applications between Dublin and Cork currently being processed under the fast-track.

A UCC housing development at Victoria Cross, the Cairn Homes complex in Stillorgan, and UCD on-campus complex have also been fast-tracked and approved under the new system. The UCD complex will accommodate 2,178 students and is set to begin construction to begin within the next three months.

Recently, 27 of the 36 pre-application requests filed with the An Bord Pleanála have been approved under the new Strategic House Development system, with more fast-track acceptances to come within the next few months.

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken