55 new scholars, 10 fellows and 1 honorary fellow announced today by Provost

The number of scholars has rise since last year, from 50 to 55

55 new scholars were announced today by Provost Patrick Prendergast on the steps of the Examination Hall as part of the Trinity Monday celebrations. The names of 10 fellows and 1 honorary fellow were also read out in the announcement. Prendergast was surrounded by other members of the College Board, dressed in traditional gowns, when the announcement was made.

The students, the majority of which are senior freshmen, sat the “Schols” examinations before Hilary Term started in January. In order to receive the scholarship, the student must achieve an overall first in these exams. The scholarship is known as “the most prestigious undergraduate award in the country”.

The number of scholars this year has risen slightly from 50 to 55 in 2016. This follows significant year-on-year decreases in the number, with 99 elected in 2014 and 67 in 2015.

One honorary fellowship was awarded to Professor Roy F. Foster, who specialises in Irish and British history. Four professorial fellowships were also awarded to Professor Ursula Fearon, Professor Brendan Kelly, Professor Michael Morris and Professor Valeria Nicolosi. Twenty-four fellowships were also awarded.

One of the three Medicine scholars, Eimear Kirby, said: “I don’t know what to say, I didn’t think I’d get it.”

Rory O’Sullivan, a new English Literature and Greek scholar, said: “I am absolutely on top of the world, this is incredible.” When asked was the hard work worth it, O’Sullivan replied: “Oh absolutely. I slaved on this thing.”

Out of the 55 scholars announced, the highest number in a single course came from Science, with 8 scholars. Engineering had 6, Computer Science had 5 while Nursing produced 4 new scholars. There were three scholars each in Law, Medicine and Mathematics. Hannah Bowman was also the first European Studies scholar since 2011.
The full list of those awarded today can be found here.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.