76% of students worried about securing employment after graduation according to USI study

The study surveyed students all across Ireland in relation to their thoughts on career prospects

NEWS76% of students are worried about securing employment after graduation and only 23% of students approaching graduation have jobs lined up, according to results from a pilot study by the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), released this week.

The study surveyed students all across Ireland in relation to their thoughts on career prospects. When asked ‘Are you anxious and troubled over actual or potential problems about finding employment after you graduate?,’ 76% of students indicated that they were.

Students are more likely to secure employment as they approach graduation, but are unsuccessful overall, with only 23% of all students stating that they have a job lined up. In addition, female students are more likely to be successful in securing employment after graduation, with 27% of females saying they had been successful, compared with 21% of male students.

26% of students felt that their course had adequately prepared them for employment after graduation.

USI is aiming to take action by partnering with Jobbio and launching the first Irish ‘After Grad’ fair in Dublin Castle on April 13, using the slogan “Don’t just find a job, Build a career!”

Jobbio is an online careers platform where job applicants can build an online profile showcasing their experiences and skills. “The purpose of Jobbio is to make missed career opportunities a thing of the past,” according to Grace Looney, Chief Marketing Officer at Jobbio: “We are very excited to partner with USI at the After Grad event and to bring the proposition of Jobbio to the class of 2016.”

Over 800 students are expected to attend with 35 exhibitors and 36 colleges from across Ireland. Speakers will include Louise Phelan of PayPal, as well as representatives from Voxpro and Ryanair. Exhibitors will include audit firm Ernst and Young, Enterprise Rent-A-Car and Glanbia.

The Grad Fair will feature six workshops on topics such as interview skills, working abroad and career goals. ‘Career Coaches’ will also be on hand to guide students in the process of finding a job.

In a statement, USI President Kevin Donoghue said: “After Grad will teach young graduates and soon-to-be graduates the best ways to build a career that harnesses their talents and abilities while building their experiencing and potential.”