94% of DCU students vote to remain in USI

2,304 students from DCUSU voted over the last two days

NEWSDublin City University Students’ Union (DCUSU) has voted to remain part of the Union of Students’ in Ireland (USI) by a margin of 94%. The result was announced this evening at the end of two days of voting. A total of 2,304 votes were cast, with 2,176 voting ‘Yes’ to staying in USI.

Speaking after the announcement of the result, USI President Annie Hoey said: “We want to thank the students who lead this campaign on DCU campuses. We campaigned across the Glasnevin and St Patrick’s campuses, and spoke to thousands of students who knew about the work done by USI. The results show that USI and the work of the national student movement is being recognised by students. We are delighted that DCU students voted overwhelmingly in favour of remaining affiliated to USI. We look forward to continuing our work representing DCU students on a national level.” Hoey continued: “DCUSU are better being a part of USI, but USI are stronger with DCUSU in it. With the campaign for a student teacher stipend coming in 2017 and the campaign against income-contingent loans raging on, the power and effort from DCUSU will be key.”

Cian Power, Vice President for Welfare and Dublin Region in USI, said: “I’m delighted to see DCUSU staying in USI and fighting alongside us and other colleges in Ireland. We are better together. Our job is now to unite together and fight for publicly funded higher education.”

In 2013, DCU students voted to rejoin the USI after a 13 year absence. That referendum was decided by one vote, with 726 students voting Yes to rejoining and 725 voting No. With almost 16,000 students, DCU is USI’s fifth largest member.

Niamh Lynch

Niamh was Editor of the 65th volume of Trinity News. She is a History and Politics graduate.