Accommodation delay could see students housed in hotels

Construction was meant to finish in early August

The development of new student accommodation at the former Montrose Hotel has been delayed, University College Dublin’s Students’ Union (UCDSU) has confirmed.

Several rooms in the  complex will not be ready until late September, two months after construction at the site was meant to finish.

News of the delay comes as thousands of students struggle to find accommodation for the new academic year.

Speaking to Trinity News, UCDSU President Feargal Hynes said the union was told during the week that 59 of the 166 rooms in the complex would not completed by the start of term.

The delay is expected to affect 20 students, he said, as students were already aware that 39 rooms would be completed by early September.

“The company understands the situation facing students,” Hynes said. “They will facilitate anyone affected. Obviously, alternative student accommodation is difficult to come by at this point, so people will be booked into hotels if needs be, at a cost to the company.”

The  €22.5 million project is the first Irish development of Ziggurat Student Living, a specialist student accommodation provider that is already well-established in the UK.

Rooms at the complex are priced at a standard weekly rent of €180, rising to €230 for a superior room,  €235 for a top room floor and  €265 for a penthouse room.

In a statement to Trinity News, Georgina Wade, Ziggurat Property Manager, confirmed that the opening of two floors will be delayed.

“This is due to an unanticipated level of work  required to bring a very old building up to high standards we demand,” she said. “58 students are affected by a delay of up to two weeks.  All of the students  affected have now been contacted and informed and are satisfied with Ziggurat’s  proposed compensation package and arrangements.”

Wade said that compensation for affected students will include September rent  free of charge, €200 per week compensation, alternative accommodation paid for by  Ziggurat and a year’s subscription to their choice of a music or movie service.

All students in the property will also receive their first month rent free due to the fact that works are continuing until the end of September, she said.

“We consulted with the Students Union in UCD, and the Accommodation Officer,  and both were more than satisfied with the offers we are making to the  affected students,” she added.

How has Dublin’s accommodation crisis affected you? Email [email protected] with your story.

Catherine Healy

Editor of Trinity News. Interested in politics, history and all forms of media.