Andrew Bowie and Lorraine Leeson appointed new Associate Deans of Research

They will work with Prof. Linda Doyle in developing research strategy

Professor Andrew Bowie and Professor Lorraine Leeson have been appointed as Trinity’s new Associate Deans of Research.

Prof. Bowie is a professor of Innate Immunology in the School of Biochemistry and Immunology. He established the only immunology undergraduate course in Ireland, coordinating the course from 2002 to 2006. He served as Director of Research in the School of Biochemistry and Immunology from 2005 to 2009, and as Head of Immunology from 2011 to 2017. He is also a Trinity Fellow and a member of the Royal Irish Academy.

Prof. Leeson is a professor in Deaf Studies and Director of the Centre for Deaf Studies in the School of Linguistic, Speech, and Communication Sciences. She is a Trinity Fellow and was nominated for the Provost’s Global Award in 2014/2015. She is currently Chair of the European Forum of Sign Language Interpreters Expert Group and a member of the Irish Association of Applied Linguistics (IRAAL) and International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies (IATIS), among other organisations.

Both professosr told Trinity News that they are honoured to be appointed to the roles. Prof. Bowie said that he is looking forward to developing “even better research across all of Trinity’s disciplines, and hopefully overcoming some of  the many challenges and constraints facing academic research.”

The new Associate Deans of Research will replace Prof. Martina Hennessy and Prof. Peter Gallagher. Prof. Hennessy is an Associate Professor Consultant Medical Education in the School of Medicine, while Gallagher is a professor in Astrophysics in the School of Physics.

The new Associate Deans of Research will work with Professor Linda Doyle, Dean of Research, in developing Trinity’s research strategy. In an email circulated to students announcing the appointments this afternoon, Provost Patrick Prendergast said: “I look forward to working with them in their new roles.”

The responsibilities of an Associate Dean of Research typically involve developing short and long range research initiatives, facilitating research collaborations across the university, supervising research-oriented staff and securing research funding.