Book of Kells shutdown as protests continue

Protesters occupied the entrance to the Book of Kells, resulting in the closure of the building

Students involved in the Take Back Trinity campaign earlier blockaded the entrance to the Book of Kells this afternoon, which has led to the closure of the building by College.  The move comes after College last night welcomed the “wind down” of protests over supplemental exam fees.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President-elect Shane De Rís was among the protesters. Speaking to Trinity News, he said: “Today is a show that we’re not winding down, that the fight continues until our demands have been met. Although there have been positive developments, the fight to take back Trinity is not yet finished.”

The campaign earlier this week occupied the Dining Hall for two days. College employed an external security company, Noonan Security, who blocked access to bathroom facilities, food and water on Wednesday evening at 5pm, where 60 students were occupying the building. Protesters also blocked Front Gate and Nassau Street entrance throughout the week.  

The Take Back Trinity campaign was established in the wake of the implementation of a €450 flat fee for supplemental exams, despite 82% of students voting against the implementation of fees in a preferendum of 3,504 students on 22 February.

The campaign are demanding that college scrap the supplemental exam fee, introduce affordable rent options for the full academic year and No more increases to any student fees, in any form.

Tourists took to twitter to express their dissatisfaction at the closure of the Book of Kells by saying “ Thanks so much #TakeBackTrinity for interfering with our vacation. No admittance to the book of Kells or long room. How about confronting administration instead of ticking off tourists? Our money is helping your education”.

Eoin O'Donnell

Eoin O'Donnell is the current Leader Writer of Trinity News. He is a Senior Sophister History student, and a former Deputy Comment Editor and Deputy Investigations Editor.