BT Young Scientist winners awarded Trinity scholarships

They have been awarded scholarships to the value of €1,000 euro

tcd.ie

Four winners from this years  BT Young Scientist & Technology exhibition have been awarded Trinity scholarships. Emily Tierney O Hanlon, Oran Donovan, Keshav Sapkota and Antanas Murelis, have all been awarded scholarships to the value of €1,000 euro in recognition of their achievement at the exhibition.

Donovan won a prize within the Technology strand of the competition, which looked into the science behind human-robot social interaction.  Tierney O Hanlon’s  project focused on identifying differences in a number of genes that may one day give rise to new medical treatments for Pancreatic Cancer.

Sapkota and Murelis took part in the Chemical, Physical and Mathematical strand, with Murelis winning an individual prize. Sapkota’s team looked into the application of numerical algorithms for constrained motion in classical mechanics.

Dean of Undergraduate Studies at Trinity College Dublin (TCD) Professor Gillian Martin,  spoke about the decision made by the students to take up their studies at Trinity: “We are delighted that Keshav, Antanas, Oran and Emily chose to pursue their studies here and that we can mark their achievements in this way. Their winning projects, which spanned a number of disciplines, demonstrated the kind of passion for research that we hope to nurture further in Trinity.”

Tierney O Hanlon is now studying Law, Donovan is studying Nanoscience, Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials, Sapkota is studying Engineering and Murelis is studying Science.

Shane Hughes

Shane Hughes

Shane Hughes is a Film Studies student and the Assistant News Editor at Trinity News.
Shane Hughes

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken