College aims to double non-EU student numbers by 2016

Failure to reach target may result in funding cut

College has committed to doubling the intake of non-EU students by 2016. It hopes to increase the number of students from non-EU countries from 953 in 2010/11 to 1,874 in 2016.

The goal is one of a number of binding targets set out in a new performance agreement published by the Higher Education Authority (HEA). The agreement’s focus on internationalisation is in line with College’s Global Relations Strategy, which was launched in September 2012 to attract international students to College and promote international research collaboration.

Other key targets set out in the document aim to increase the quality of teaching and learning. Mandatory evaluation of all undergraduate modules will take place by the end of 2014. Teaching modules for new academic staff are set to be introduced by 2016. College also hopes that 60% of modules will incorporate e-learning by 2016.  The agreement further stipulates that electives in innovation and entrepreneurship modules beintroduced as broad curriculum modules.

College has also agreed to increase the proportion of entrants from non-traditional routes from 17% in 2010/11 to 22% in 2016. In the same period, it plans to increase flexible (part-time and online) learners as a percentage of the student body from 12% to 14%.

The document also sets out College’s commitment to diversifying  funding sources. It hopes to double industry funding in the next five years. It also intends to increase non-exchequer research income from 30% in 2010/11 to 39% in 2016.

The targets are the culmination of a year-long negotiation process between College and the HEA. They are included in one a number of series of agreements that outline binding targets for each of the Irish universities, institutes of technologies, and other third-level colleges. Up to 10% of HEA funding may be withheld from higher education institutions if these targets are not met.

Catherine Healy

Editor of Trinity News. Interested in politics, history and all forms of media.