DIT rank 38th in EU technology ranking

U-Multirank is the world’s largest global ranking

Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) have ranked 35th out of 231 institutions in a science and technology ranking by U-Multirank, while University College Dublin (UCD) ranked first in Ireland and 25th in the rankings.

The U-Multirank rankings grade universities and institutes of technologies from A (very good) to E (poor) under headings such as bachelor and masters graduation rate and student mobility. DIT scored seven A’s with UCD being awarded A’s in science and technology publication sections. Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology (GMIT) and Cork Institute of Technology scored highly on bachelor graduation rate.

Institute of Technology Tallaght (ITT) was given 3 A’s and Cork Institute of Technology was awarded one A.

California Institute of Technology (Caltech) ranked first in the overall technology rankings, with Technical University of Denmark (DTU) placing second and Massachusetts Institute Technology (MIT) ranking third. Trinity were not included in the rankings, with criteria limited to universities with at least 40% of those graduating from science or technology fields, or institutes of technology.  

The ranking scheme is a European Commission initiative and is funded by the European Union (EU) Erasmus Plus program. The rankings are in collaboration with the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research (CESAER). 2017 marks the fourth year of the U-Multirank rankings.

Seana Davis is a fourth year Geology student and News Editor of Trinity News.