Error in Trinity Hall applications means students asked for incorrect word count

The error on the application advised student that the word limit for the application was 250 characters, rather than 250 words

An error in the application form for Trinity Hall advised incoming first year students that the limit for the application was 250 characters. However, the limit was in fact 250 words, or 1800 characters.

Speaking to Trinity News, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Communications and Marketing Officer, Una Harty, stated that the application form went live on Monday, before a number of Halls applicants rang college to inquiry over the unusually low word count.

She stated that a number of applicants had already submitted their applications at under 250 words, but was unable to provide an exact figure on how many. Harty posted in a Facebook group for Freshers’ students advising them of the mistake.

Trinity Hall is unable to alter the application form, which is already live on the application web page. The question in which the error occurred asked potential residents to write a statement on why they would like to live in Halls and what they would contribute to the residence.

First year applicants are advised to contact Trinity Hall if they wish to change their applications.

Trinity Hall, situated in Dartry, is the College’s only student accommodation option for incoming first year students and receives over a thousand applications every year. Applications were open from Monday following the release of CAO offers and will close this Friday.

Seana is a 4th year Geology student and current Deputy News Editor of Trinity News.

Editors

Sarah Meehan

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow