Expanded TCD sport scholarship programme announced

A new range of sport scholarships have been announced by TCD, with increased student athlete scholarship packages. The expanded programme comprises of four categories to appeal to a broader range of students, from aspiring athletes to elite performers.

The four categories are as follows:

• Podium scholarship – with a support package up to the value of EUR 9,500.
  • Performance scholarship – with a support package up to the value of EUR 5,000.
  • Athlete Development scholarship – with a support package up to the value of EUR 2,800.
  • Academy Sport award – with a support package up to the value of EUR 1,000.

Speaking following the launch of the new scholarship programmes, Deputy Head of Sport and Recreation Matthew Dossett commented “Our new strategy for sport, ‘Raising our Game’, has set out a roadmap for attracting and supporting talented and elite athletes within Ireland’s premier academic institution. This will allow the most promising sports people to attain the highest possible success in their chosen studies and sport,”

“The newly revised scholarship programme will enable us to nurture and excel athletes at the beginning of their journey, as well as support current high-level performers and propel them towards national and international success. Along with world-class research and sport science support expertise, the programme will benefit from being part of new a high performance pathway, which is being delivered as part of our rapidly increasing sports development unit. We are really excited about the year ahead, and look forward to welcoming the next generation of Irish and international athletes to become part of Trinity Sport and a legacy within one of the world’s oldest and most prestigious institutions.”

Past sports scholarship recipients include Olympian Natalya Coyle (BESS), who has just had her best ever finish in her modern pentathlon event in Rio (coming seventh); Anna May Whelan (Pharmacy) who received her first cap playing hockey for Ireland this summer; Ayman Ben Mohamed (BESS) who has just signed a deal to play for 26-time league champions Espérance Sportive de Tunis; inter-county scholars Sarah McCaffrey (Dublin), Eoghan McNamara (Limerick), Darragh O’Donoghue (Galway), Michelle Peel (Meath), Michael O’Grady (Kildare) and Tiarnán Daly (Fermanagh).

Applications are open to all Trinity students regardless of nationality, course, or year of study. Preference is given in sports already represented at club level within the college (see DUCAC), GAA, Hockey, Rowing, and Rugby, and Olympic and Paralympic sports. Applications made in other sports will be considered on a case-by-case basis.  Students must complete an application form below for review by the Sports Scholarship committee

The closing date for submission for the academic year 2016/2017 will be the end of August 2016.All applications will be reviewed by the Sports Scholarship Committee. Short listed applicants may be invited to attend an interview. The panel will consider the applicant’s current level of performance, potential in their sport and possible contribution to sport in TCD. Scholarships will be awarded in September/October.

For full details of what each category involves and to apply go to http://www.tcd.ie/Sport/scholarships/