Experimental and traditional mix at annual VisArts exhibition

TCD Visual Arts Society End of Year Exhibition showcases a wide variety of work from students and staff

‘Mechanical Flower’ by Ekaterina Solomatina

TCD Visual Arts Society launched their End of Year Exhibition on Monday March 6th, in the modern and artistically active Temple Bar Gallery + Studios. This year’s opening night featured a performance from the Trinity Belles and an afterparty in Pacino’s Restaurant and Bar. The exhibition is distributed between four floors, each comprising of a series of engaging and diverse pieces by students and staff.

.

Upon speaking to the secretary of the Visual Arts Society, Anna Belitskaya, I could appreciate the hard work and dedication that went into creating a success. The process of choosing just over 40 pieces for display was tough, with the decision coming down to those pieces that showcased a range of talent, themes and materials.

.

The artwork itself is creative, thought provoking and reflective of our modern age with a mixture of forward thinking and more traditional pieces. The fluidity of the three floors is instantly noticeable, with each possessing its own unique characteristics. The lighting of this venue enriches the experience, and the active studios behind the artwork brings them to life.

.

‘Make Them Wonder’ by Sulla Montes

‘African Queen’ by Deirdre Flanagan

.The first floor consists mainly of portraits from artists such as Sulla Montes and Deirdre Flanagan. These pieces created an atmosphere of self love, with an appreciation of the human body and life. Moving upwards the art is a delicate mix between colourful and minimalistic.

.

‘The Mechanical Flower’  by Ekaterina Solomatina, pictured above, is an interactive piece comprising of bright, neon colours and interesting shapes that are accentuated by the use of lighting. Made with materials such as acrylic paints, stainless steel and fibre glass, the message of life and creation is intriguing. The juxtaposition of lino print and oil paintings amongst this piece is not overbearing, nor would I say, out of place.

.

The careful placement of each material is not only complimentary, but also enriching to the appreciation of each piece, as you can view them all individually.

.

‘Period Profit’ by Ellen O’Sullivan

.

Another piece is the interesting ‘Period Profit’ by Ellen O’Sullivan which comprises of tampons, gold paint, glitter and spray paint. The impact this piece has to the eye is profound, with the deliberate placement of one bundle of tampons in the middle of a podium being unapologetic. Ellen clearly possesses a fresh and exciting outlook on art, an outlook that is clearly shared among the other artists in this exhibition.

‘Anon’ by Anna Belitskaya

.

Belitskaya noted that this year was the first to display the artist’s course with their name, which definitely contributed to the appreciation of their background. This had a unifying aspect, helping to bring together students from all types of backgrounds and interests to exercise their creative talent. Not only was it a breath of fresh air to see this camaraderie, but it also teased us, allowing us to ponder the artists thought process for their creations by giving us added information on them.

.

It was also great to see members of the staff participate, as one of my favourite pieces was ‘African Queen’ by Deirdre Flanagan, accommodations officer. Her skill will not go unnoticed, nor the passion expressed through the eyes of the portrait.

..

This year’s exhibition was culturally rich, with plenty of new creativity. It’s is a credit to the committee, as a correct level of professionalism was maintained throughout the venue. The closing night is Wednesday March 8th, which will not only mark the end of a societal year but also the great successes the Visual Arts Society has achieved over the last few months. This hard work and talent will undoubtedly follow through to the next academic year.