Homeowners could earn up to €12000 Tax-Free in frantic measures to house students

As the accommodation crisis looms large on the day that CAO offers are released, Trinity’s rent a room scheme offers assistance to those affected by Dublin’s worsening accommodation crisis

Homeowners have been urged to rent any spare space in their houses in a desperate attempt to house students by the government, the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) and Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU). With today’s release of the CAO offers and term starting in less than a month, desperate moves are being made to help cut accommodation costs and house those affected by Dublin’s accommodation crisis.

Due to this, third-level institutions have arranged their own internal services to support students such as Trinity’s accommodation advisory service. DIT has a similar network which estimated costs for a student living away from home in Dublin at around €11000 a year, of which €2925 of this solely goes on accommodation.

Already digs advertisements have flooded social media and other accommodation websites with average prices coming in at about €80-165 a week excluding utilities and €100-185 including utilities. This compares to a twelve-month rental contract in Phibsborough averaging around €10000.

To protect students, most universities have set up schemes to act as a “middle man” between students and digs organisers. Trinity’s ‘rent a room scheme’ is overseen by the Accommodation Advisory Service where a contract is signed by both student and host family agreeing a set of terms.

The rent a room or digs option has been endorsed by most Irish colleges including TCDSU President Kieran McNulty as a “fantastic option” in these times. With savings for students and host families have similar advantages making up to €12000 tax free on letting rooms.

The USI have announced that this accommodation shortage is country-wide and the worst in records. Although these savings from rent a room schemes hope to encourage students and Irish residents to alleviate the problem, the USI and third-level institutions are still pushing the government to meet their manifesto pledges for greater accommodation options across Ireland.