Irish Emergency Services open to the public in Front Square

Following their parade, Irish Emergency Services gathered in Trinity to celebrate Annual Emergency Services Day 2017.

Photo Credit – Niamh Moriarty/ Trinity News

An Emergency Services parade, which began at Parnell Square, marched into Front Square today to hold their annual open showcase for members of the public.

The parade was comprised of staff and volunteers of Irish Emergency Services such as Dublin Fire Brigade and Irish Water safety. It was organised by the Frontline Emergency Security Services Éire Forum (FESSEF).

The parade is part of Annual Emergency Services Day and the ongoing Emergency Services weekend which started with a concert featuring the marching bands of the services at St. Mary’s Pro-Cathedral on Friday night and continues tonight with an annual Gala Dinner in the Dining Hall which will be attended by Minister for Health Simon Harris. 

The parade — which featured marching bands, ambulances and horses —  captured the attention of pedestrians. The Emergency Services also proved popular with children, as they waved from their fire engines.

Highlights of the day included a presentation of the resuscitation technique by St. John Ambulance with a backdrop of the  game, Operation, which was played by staff members and children alike.

All funds raised during the weekend, which ends tomorrow with a barbecue, will be donated to three charities: the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI); Bumbulance, the children’s ambulance service; and ONE, a welfare service which provides for ex-service women and men.

Additional reporting by Sorcha Ní Cheallaigh. 

Editors

Sarah Meehan

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow