Learning the Ropes: Q Soc and Trinity Knitting Society’s ‘Stitch and Bitch’

Shining the spotlight on one of Trinity’s many smaller society affairs, Rory Codd tagged along to the traditional ‘Stitch and Bitch’ held by Q Soc and Trinity’s Knitting Society.

Last night, on Tuesday March 21, I tagged along to Q Soc and Trinity Knitting Society’s collaborative ‘Stitch and Bitch’ event in the Elizabethan room of House 6. This is not the first time these societies have come together, normally having a ‘Stitch and Bitch’ night during the spring of each year. The objective of the two-hour event is pretty self-explanatory; the two societies came together to have a go at some knitting, whilst talking about whatever came to mind.

I myself am not a knitter whatsoever, but thought it would be interesting to see how that may affect the dynamic of the night. I wondered if I would be left with nothing to do, but thanks to Knitting Society’s very own Alexandra Day, that was not the case. She took the time to show me basics of knitting to get me started. From merely casting the wool onto the needle to my first stitch, before I knew it I was knitting – albeit incredibly slowly. Although I got stuck on more than a few occasions, she was very patient, always knowing where I had gone wrong and how to get me back on track.

As for the conversation, it was less ‘bitching’ and more a stream of casual discussions. It was a small group, so it was pretty easy for us to talk to each other from across the room. We talked about an array of random things, such as Nintendo’s Animal Crossing, the difference between the words ‘envy’ and ‘jealousy’, our favourite Latin phrases, and the new Beauty and the Beast film. Suffice to say, the conversation took some interesting turns. It was refreshing to be in an environment where you could talk to new people, or just focus on your knitting, whichever made you happier.

My knitting didn’t amount to much more than a small scrap of wool, suitable for pretty much nothing, but the experience of learning and the laid back chatting made the event well worth attending. The ‘Stitch and Bitch’ night wasn’t earth-shattering, but I feel as though that was the entire point. Instead of being a jam-packed event bustling with students, it was a quieter ordeal that offered a reprieve from the hectic Trinity life, especially in the run-up to exams. I’d love to see Q Soc and Trinity Knitting Society coming together more often throughout the year, though I could be tempted to return to Knitting Society myself in the future, if my knitting skills can be improved. This is an event I’d encourage all stressed out students to keep an eye out for in the future.