What’s on this week: Post-reading week events

Here’s what’s happening as we head into week 8

As we return from Reading Week to realisation of how little reading we actually completed, week 8 offers us a variety of events to distract us. This week is TCDSU Rainbow Week, a celebration of the LGBTQ+ community, and there are over 30 events taking place. Highlights include “Know Your GAY-bour” in the Panti Bar on Tuesday and on Friday afternoon there is a queer history walking tour.

This evening at 5pm in the GMB, The Hist, in association with TCDSU, are presenting a Burke Panel on HIV. The panelists, who include Maeve Foreman, Billy Flynn, Shaun Dunne and Tonie Walsh, will be discussing the topics of HIV and AIDS, with the event being followed by a “lavish reception”.

The Global Room plays host to one of Trinity’s Law professor’s, Professor Gerry Whyte on Tuesday at 3 30pm. Whyte will be discussing the impacts if the 8th Amendment is repealed.

DU Music is holding one of its biggest events of the year as it hosts Ron Pope, the American singer, on Tuesday at 4pm. Pope has just released his new album “Work” and will visit to discuss this, amongst many other things. The location for this event is yet to be confirmed so keep an eye out on DU Music’s Facebook page. On Tuesday evening at 6 30pm in the Global Room, the Lit society and the Afro-Caribbean society have teamed up to discuss literature, with free snacks thrown in as well.

If you’re looking to attend a debate this week, The Hist has its weekly debate in the GMB on Wednesday at 7.30pm. Speakers will go head to head over the topic of “Political Satire Does More Harm Than Good”. The Hist will also be awarding Dr. Adrian Goldsworthy the medal for outstanding contribution to public discourse through the arts on Thursday at 2.15pm in the GMB. For their weekly Thursday debate The Phil have paired up with the Student Economic Review and will be discussing the topic “The UK Should Pay Reparations to Former Colonies”.

Trinity SMF will be hosting the Women’s Leadership Conference which is open to students “regardless of year, gender or course”. It is taking place on Wednesday at 6.30pm in the Dining Hall. The will be a panel discussion lead by famed economist David McWilliams with a host of impressive panelists including Sorcha McKenna, Marisa Drew, Alan Duffy and Sinead McSweeney.

If you’re sick of the usual night life why not check out Trinity’s Battle of the Bands. On Wednesday students will go head to head competing for that one spot on Trinity Ball’s stage reserved for current or past pupil or pupils. With Christmas being around the corner, Summer may seem ages away but SUAS have you covered with an information evening on volunteering abroad this summer. The session will be held in Room 5025 in the Arts Block on Wednesday at 12pm.

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.