This week in Trinity: Pinatas, Politics and Quidditch

Week 10 in Trinity boasts free exercise classes, beating up a pinata, a variety of movies as well as a Quidditch match

Photo Credit: Joe McCallion/ Trinity News

It’s week 10 in Trinity and Health and Sports week, which after a sinful Paddy’s weekend is probably a good idea. Check out the sports center for a variety of activities and classes that will take place over the week which are all free.

At 5pm this evening DUGES are holding a women in leadership discussion in room 3131; an interesting event for anyone disappointed in the lacking female representation in the recent TCDSU elections. At 6.30pm Senator David Norris speaks to Pol Soc in House 6. Norris recently visited Trinity to lend his support to the Take Back Trinity Campaign and this discussion should be interesting to hear his views on the Campaign to date.  

Meanwhile at 6pm Q soc are screening Moonlight, a movie nominated for both an Academy Awards and Golden Globe,  which follows the story of a boy growing into a man as he learns about his sexuality. Another movie to watch is Tomorrow –  Enviro Soc are screening this documentary in Room 5033 in Arts block at 7pm and it examines possible solutions to Climate Change.

On Wednesday Space Soc will be debunking space myths in room 5052 in the Arts Block at 7pm. If you’re not entirely sure what a black hole is and want to know, this is an event worth going to. Continuing on the science theme at 7pm Women in STEM will be discussing women in chemistry. Their panel includes Professor Isobel Rozas, Jennifer McKenna, Shelley Stafford and Amy Lynes.

The Hist poses the question whether it is ethical to kill somebody at 7.30pm in the GMB. With honorary members tackling students it’s set to be an interesting debate. In Whelans the long anticipated final for the Battle of the Bands will be starting at 8.30pm.

On Thursday Sports and Health week seek out not just the sporty but also the Harry Potter fans with a Quidditch match at 2.00pm on the Cricket Pitch. Merging the present and past, the Classical Society are welcoming Brian McGing at 4pm in room 3074 in the Arts Block to see how a classics degree is relevant to the modern day workplace.  The final Phil debate of the year is in the GMB at 7.30pm with the motion ‘This House Would Stay Forever Young’. At 8.30pm DU Dance will be displaying pieces from the intreversaties, entry is free and in the Player’s Theatre.

Friday sees the Visual Arts ‘End of Year Exhibition’ at 7.30pm in the Atrium of Temple Bar Gallery and Studios where there will be a variety of arts from performances to paintings and sculptures. At 6pm the newly formed Vegan Society will be screening ‘Forks over Knives’ in room 3126 in the Arts Block. The film looks at plant based diets and there will be an open discussion afterwards.

As we draw ever closer to summer, there are AGM’s on in most societies so if you’re looking to learn more or run for a position make sure you keep an eye out.

Georgina Francis

Georgina Francis is a former Managing Editor, Life Editor and Assistant Life Editor of Trinity News.