Top crying spots on campus

Here are eight of the best places to have a cry in Trinity College

College life can be hard. It’s good to let it all out sometimes, to let yourself have a little sniffle or just straight-up weep. Whatever your breakdown style, here is a list of the eight best places to cry on campus.

1.Fifth floor Arts Block bathrooms

You swore you’d try to take an active part in a society this year, but once again you’ve missed out on the opportunity to be one of those active students, and have resigned yourself to sitting on your bed watching Drag Race every evening. Want somewhere to cry about it?

While the first floors of the Arts Block are swarmed with students in light-wash mom jeans, chunky Fila runners, and oversized flannel bin bags, the fifth floor is so far removed from the liberal chaos that you can use the bathroom stalls to cry about your personal failures in peace. The only disturbance you risk is a chance encounter with a rogue American tourist who got lost on their way to The Perch.

2.Sixth floor of the Arts Block

If you suffer from claustrophobia then the fifth floor bathrooms won’t quite cut it for you, try the sixth floor of the arts block.

Feeling far from home? Miss your dog? Realising your degree won’t provide financial stability? This open space is perfect for moments of reflecting on your miseries, with its huge windows and quiet atmosphere. Pull up a lime green plush chair, stare out onto the city, and blubber away.

3.The Rose Garden

Ever wanted to feel like you’re in a Nicholas Sparks novel? I suggest a break-up in the rose garden. This scenic spot is perfect for crying, and the beautiful setting justifies crying in public. Be it on the shoulder of a friend or on the lap of an ex, you can’t graduate from Trinners without having a good weep outdoors, surrounded by the Provost’s own foliage.

4..The basement of the Ussher

Ah, maps. No one is in danger of going to take a map out of the library only to find it’s gone already. That’s why the basement of the Ussher, home to all your cartography needs, is the perfect spot for your mid-week breakdown. So few students use it that you can go unnoticed as you sit and cry between rows and rows of navy books.

5.In the showers at the gym

So you’ve told yourself that you’re going to put that sports levy charge to good use and go to the gym this year. Good for you. When you find out you’ve been doing squats wrong, or you can’t take another one of those plastic-tasting protein bars when you’d kill for a spice bag, the gym showers are there for you.

Find a shower that actually has a curtain, turn on the aggressive stream of water and cry to your heart’s content. Make sure to schedule your weepy moment for either early morning or late at night, when you won’t have to battle gym bunnies for a stall in those communal showers.

6.Anywhere in the Hamilton

Anywhere. Just anywhere at all. Sit down and start crying. First of all, people will assume you’re doing a difficult, complicated, stressful degree – maybe you are – which warrants a public collapse. They may respect you for this. Secondly, most people in the Hamilton will be too preoccupied with their own difficult, complicated, stressful degrees to notice a person sobbing near them. It’s a win-win.

7.The department of Early Printed Books

Props to you if you knew this existed before now. This elusive library is ideal for crying, although you will have to keep quiet and turn off your phone, and you can’t yield a pen. If you’re looking for total privacy and the smell of old men, follow the tunnel underneath the Berkeley and take the lift up to this musty little room that houses manuscripts that date back to well before Trinity ever considered letting women in.

8.James Cunningham’s office

He’s your Welfare Officer, folks. Put him to good use. If you really feel like the waterworks are about to start and all you long for in life is to cry in front of a smiley Northern stranger, then head on into the office of Mr James Cunningham. It’s his job to listen to your coffee-induced frenzy over the lad you met on Tinder who turned out to be your cousin. Times are hard. If real assistance is what you need, and you’re looking for someone to talk to, look no further.

Sarah Moran

Sarah Moran is the current Head Copyeditor of Trinity News. She is also a Senior Sophister English Literature student.