What’s better than food and wine? Free food and free wine!

A guide to feeding yourself for free on campus

College years are filled with studying, assignments, and of course, parties. They’re also years that can be expensive for many, and eating out and drinking in Dublin city centre isn’t always economical. However, there are a few workarounds to get a cup of coffee or tea, and some snacks for free! With library hours clocking up as exams loom even closer, procrastinatory coffee breaks are on the up! Plenty of societies have coffee hours once a week, so if you plan correctly, there is an afternoon pick-me-up every day of the week! Here is your conclusive guide to what’s free on campus.

Coffee, tea, and snacks – oh my!

Start Monday right, with the Geography Society library hours from 1 to 3pm in Room 7 in the Atrium, where an abundance of tea, coffee, and biscuits are waiting for you. Or, if you’re feeling a little more decadent, the French Society hosts coffee and croissants in Room 3 of the Atrium at 12pm on Mondays as well. If you simply can’t face College that early on a Monday, People Before Profit has weekly coffee hours on Mondays too at the later time of 3 to 5pm, and on Wednesdays from 1 to 3.00pm in the PBP Room, on the second floor of House Six.

To ease into the week, delve outside your comfort zone with the Visual Arts Society. They have tea, coffee, chats, and music in the VisArts Room at the top of House Six, served from 2pm to 4pm on Tuesdays. To rake in all the free treats, head over to Envirosoc for their Midweek Munchies. There you can soothe your conscience by showing support for climate action, whilst tucking into a well-deserved free lunch. On from 12 to 2pm, it is also at the top of House Six.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, FemSoc hosts coffee hours between 12 and 1pm in the Attic of House Six. Thursdays could also be spent with the Politics Society at their Caffeinated Conversations, from 2 to 4.30pm at the top of House Six. If you want to try something a little more astronomical, Cosmos Coffdifferentee with Trinity Space Society happens weekly on Thursdays and Fridays in Room 4 of the Atrium from 1 to 2pm. And to finish off the week, on Fridays, the Italian Society hosts coffee and croissants in the Eliz Room at 1pm.

A free lunch is also offered by the Chaplaincy every Tuesday in House 27 from 12.30pm. Early arrival is recommended, as it is always a heavily attended event. The common room of House 27 is also always open for tea and coffee. With all these options, there’s no reason to be hungry while you’re working on an assignment.

Wine and dine 

If a free glass of wine is more your fancy than tea and snacks, then look no further. The College Historical Society (the Hist) and the University Philosophical Society (the Phil) both have free snacks and drink receptions before their weekly debates – an excellent way to listen to any argument is with a bit of alcohol! The Visual Arts Society has occasional Paint and Sip nights, but the next date has yet to be scheduled. It sounds like the perfect way to spend an evening, free wine and paints – your best clothes should probably stay at home for this!

One off events

Keep an eye out on society Facebook pages for more one-off events and up-to-date information – there are plenty of free food, drink, and events put on in the social side of College! The Germanic Society and DU Meditation are holding an event on November 7 at 12pm in the Global Room, where coffee and snacks will also be provided. Relaxation and free food, show me a better duo!

Elle Buckvold

Elle Buckvold is a staff writer at Trinity News. She is a Junior Sophister History and Geography student.