Man charged with damaging front gate appears in court

news1

John Farrell, the 66-year-old Dublin man charged with driving a car into the front gate of Trinity College, has been further charged with endangerment of life at Dublin District Court today.

Mr Farrell had a total of 21 charges brought against him, including accusations of criminal damage, dangerous driving and hit-and-run. The charges are in relation to an incident that occurred on 2nd April  last in which a car crashed into the front gate of the college, allegedly causing €43,816 in damages to the wooden gate as well as €18,000 in damages to surrounding college property and vehicles in the area.

Garda Anthony Brazil told the court that the accused had “nothing to say” in response to this new allegation.

State solicitor Ronan O’Brien asked for an extension of existing bail to the new charge. He stated that the DPP plans to direct the trial on indictment, that is that the trial will be handled at Circuit Court level.

The defense sought free legal aid for Mr Farrell on the grounds that he is unemployed with no source of income, having been unable to obtain a pension. Judge Michael Walsh granted this request. According to his barrister, Mr Farrell is currently receiving financial assistance from neighbours and relatives.

The court will adjourn for five weeks in order to compile the book of evidence and will resume on 7th January. Until then, the accused has been remanded on bail. It is not yet known how Mr Farrell intends to plead.