PHOTOS: Thousands march for marriage equality on Dublin streets

An estimated 8,000 demonstrators took part in the rally

An estimated 8,000 demonstrators marched in a major Dublin rally in support of same-sex marriage this afternoon.

The 2014 March for Marriage, organised by LGBT Noise, is the last annual rally to take place before a referendum on marriage equality is held in early 2015. 

Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU) was one among a number of student unions to march alongside demonstrators.

Speaking to Trinity News, Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne, TCDSU President, said it was important for the union to be present today.

“The issue is simple: if we truly believe that all human beings have equal value, then the love that any two people commit to each other is equally precious,” he said. “Ireland has a unique chance to show leadership as the first country in the world to enact equal marriage by a popular vote.”

The rally culminated outside the Department of Justice and Equality at Stephen’s Green, where demonstrators heard from speakers including  Marriage Equality’s Gráinne Healy, Laura Harmon, President of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI); Tara Flynn, star of the now viral LGBT Noise “Armayddon” video; Fintan O’Toole, Irish Times columnist; and Dil Wickremasinghe, Newstalk broadcaster.

Supporters were urged to ensure that their families and friends are on the electoral register to vote in next year’s referendum.

Catherine Healy

Editor of Trinity News. Interested in politics, history and all forms of media.