Maynooth University introducing sleeping pods in library

MU is the first academic library to install such pods

Maynooth University (MU) has begun introducing sleeping pods, or isolation pods, in its library. The pods were introduced through a winning idea by an MU student in their inaugural Innovation Competition.

MU has described the ‘Energy Pods’ as “ideal for commuting students or just someone who simply needs a nap or a time alone to recharge”. MU is the first academic library to introduce such pods.

Last year Brian Crinion, a Robotics and Intelligent Devices student currently in his second year of study in the college, won the award for his idea of installing sleeping pods in the library.

Crinion was one of many entrants in the competition which was set up during the 2016/17 academic year by the library in MU in conjunction with the Maynooth Students’ Union (MSU) and the university’s Department of Design and Innovation. The competition outlined a concept which plays on the famous slogan by the Danish beer, Carlsberg: “If students did libraries…”, asking students to suggest ideas that would improve their library experience. 

The competition was open to all students in MU and seven finalists were shortlisted who then pitched their ideas to a judging panel in a ‘Dragon’s Den’ final, which was held on March 21 last year. The successful finalist received a cash prize of €1,000 and their idea implemented in the college library.

Last year, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Welfare Officer, Aoibhinn Loughlin, introduced a nap room for students. The room is available solely for the use of students and is located in the parlour next to the SU Café in Goldsmith Hall. It was purposely built to function as both a nap and respite room for students.

Cian Mac Lochlainn

Cian Mac Lochlainn is an Economics and Politics student, and a staff writer at Trinity News.
  • Very cool! I’ve seen photos of pods in other libraries, but they did not look quite like this one.
    I am interested to know: How many pods are there? And can students reserve them, or just hop in if one is empty?

Jenny Corcoran
Harriet Bruce
Isabelle Griffin
Maha Sultan
Megan Luddy
Lucie Rondeau Du Noyer
Amanda Cliffe
Constance Millar
Nicole O'Sullivan
Chloe Aitken