NCI to remain in the USI following vote

NCI voted in favour of remaining in the USI by 97.2%

The National College of Ireland Students’ Union (NCISU) voted today to remain with the Union of Students in Ireland (USI).  The poll for the referendum opened on Thursday, November 9 and closed on Friday November 10.

The final result showed that 97.2% voted yes to remaining within the USI, while only 17 people voted to leave. There were a total of four spoiled votes.

Following the results, Stephen Cleary, NCI Students’ Union President, said: “I am delighted that NCI students will continue to work alongside other colleges as part of the national student movement with the Union of Students in Ireland.”

NCISU campaigned to remain in the USI, and told students to vote yes, to ensure that NCI student’s voices “are heard on a national level”. The NCISU also  pointed out that the USI “campaign for publicly funded education and grant investment.”

Speaking after the result was announced, USI President Michael Kerrigan thanked the campaign team and the students of NCI. “USI look forward to continuing our work with the students of NCI. A campus that has been at the forefront of our entrepreneurial campaigns and events, we are delighted to see student vote for such a strong mandate for their Students’ Union to remain part of USI. Together, we are stronger; and we are stronger with NCISU”.

USI Vice President for the Dublin Region, Aisling Cusack, said, “It has been a pleasure talking to NCI students this week. Their knowledge of USI was impressive, and their hunger to remain in the Union was not only clear on campus, but reflects the vote announced today. Thank you to everyone who helped”

Editors

Sarah Meehan

Aisling Crabbe
Natalia Duda
Sarah Morel
Mike Dolan
John Tierney
Naoise Dolan
Sarah Larragy
Mubbashir Ali Sultan
Nadia Bertaud
Daniel Tatlow