Capitated bodies to collaborate on resisting potential further cuts

news1Trinity’s capitated bodies – Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU), the Central Societies Committee (CSC), Trinity Publications,  Dublin University Central Athletic Club (DUCAC) and the Graduate Student Union (GSU) – are to meet this evening to discuss resisting further potential cuts to student services. “The focus now is on organising ourselves ahead of the next discussion,” SU president, Domhnall McGlacken-Byrne, told Trinity News.

A funding reduction of 5% for every capitated body was confirmed at a budget meeting of the capitation committee, chaired by the senior dean, Prof Brian McGing, on November. The cut follows a budgetary cut of 3.75% – down from a previously proposed cut of 5% – for the 2013/4 academics year.

Overall, funding for the five bodies will stand at €1,044,910 per annum – a drop of just over €100,000 since 2012/13. This year’s funding has been reduced from €340,524 to €322,834 for DUCAC; €344,874 to €326,958 for CSC;  €312,410 to €296,181 for the SU; €57,707 to €54,709 for the GSU; and €46,652 to €44,228 for Trinity Publications.

In a press statement issued on Sunday, Trinity Publications admitted it was “obviously disappointed” with the cut, but insisted that it is “still committed to providing the same standard, quality and reach of both print and digital media to the student body.”

The money provided to the capitated bodies comes from the annual student contribution charge, which is paid by all students. Before 2002, students paid a direct “capitation fee” which went straight to the capitated bodies for the provision of services and extra-curricular activities for students. This was included as part the overall registration fee in 2002.

James Wilson

News Editor