The 5 on Friday – international rankings, scholar stress and USI pre-election launches

Five of this week’s top news stories delivered in bite-sized chunks

USI partnered with Smartvote, referred to as ‘the tinder of politics’

The Smartvote website was founded in UCD’s Innovation Academy and matches voters with candidates in their constituency based on their views on a number of policy questions, including the right to abortion and housing policy.

berkeley

Trinity was named 40th “most international” university in the world by Times Higher Education

Tied with University of British Columbia in Canada and University of Auckland in New Zealand, Trinity has been assigned a score of 90.5% for its “international outlook” in the Times Higher Education guide to the 200 most international institutions of 2015-2016.

PhD engineering student- Natalie

Potential Scholars began exams

Student responses ranged from alleviation at finally getting started to “if you don’t have nightmares of missing your exam, you’re not working hard enough.”

room

Trinity graduate Lenny Abrahamson was nominated for the Best Director award at this year’s Academy Awards for his film Room

The film is also up for the Best Picture, Best Actress and Adapted Screenplay awards and is based on the best-selling book of the same name by Irish writer Emma Donoghue.

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 12.35.03 p.m.

USI election manifesto calls for a rejection of loans, repeal of 8th amendment, and JobBridge abolition

The Union of Students Ireland released their manifesto for the general election. In his introductory statement to the manifesto, president of the USI Kevin Donoghue states that “since the economic crash of 2008 our education system continues to be seriously under-funded” and goes on to make a series of proposals to improve the student grant system and the accommodation system, as well as a number of more wide-ranging demands.