TCDSU votes to support TCD Strike 4 Repeal

SU Council will support the strike that is taking place on March 8

NEWS

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Council has voted to support TCD Strike for Repeal in striking, demonstration and solidarity. The motion was proposed by Rachel Skelly, the Gender Equality Officer for TCDSU and seconded by Aine Palmer, a third year English Literature representative.

The motion was originally brought forward as a discussion item at tonight’s SU Council before being proposed as a motion.

The campaign is a College branch of the larger Strike 4 Repeal campaign, which is calling on the Irish government to repeal the 8th amendment prior to March 8. If the government do not comply, the group and its allies are taking to the streets in protest on that day.

The Trinity group has been collecting signatures since February 7, receiving more than 700 signatures in support of the strike, which were presented at Council.

It is hoped the backing from TCDSU will give the campaign impetus and increase the likelihood of College academic staff upholding the strike. The group are organising a demonstration on the day of the strike between 12pm and 1pm to express solidarity with the larger campaign, due to strike at 5pm the same day. Library staff in conjunction with SIPTU have expressed interest in supporting the strike, though no formalised plans have been confirmed.

Additional reporting by Niamh Lynch. 

Niamh Moriarty

Niamh is a Senior Freshman Political Science, Philosophy and Economics student. She is current digital editor for Trinity News.