Comedy gigs, student workshops and Blindboy: Mental Health Week 2017

From mindfulness meditation to comedy gigs, this year’s Mental Health Week promises society collaboration events, educational sub-campaigns, and a workshop by the Rubberbandits’ Blindboy

TCDSU Mental Health Week 2017 begins today, Monday 20 March, marking the final welfare campaign week of the year. The week aims “raise awareness of the different mental health issues that affect us”, highlighting issues such as spotting the signs of mental health problems, promoting services, opening up, and stigma reduction.

Collaborating with societies, TCDSU Welfare have organised a range of events that promote positive mental health and provide advice and information. There are over 15 events and activities taking place, ranging from a free SU breakfast and a comedy night, to movie screenings and free fitness classes with Trinity Sports Centre.

Speaking to Trinity News, Welfare Officer Aoibhinn Ní Lochlainn explained the effort and work that goes into this week: “We have some of the most active volunteers here in Trinity, and many have their own personal stories and ideas which will make this campaign a success.”  It is these volunteers that make such important campaign weeks possible.

In addition to the events organised, Ní Lochlainn outlined what she was looking forward to during the week, which included a “Men’s Mental Health photo campaign featuring over 20 clubs and societies, and flyering sub-campaigns focusing on non-consensual sex, addictive behaviours, and mental ill-health.” The aim of the week is not purely to run fun and entertaining events and activities, but also to inform and educate students on a wide range of topical issues.

Highlights of the week include Comedy Soc’s Graduation Gig, a workshop on “How to Avoid Burning Out” hosted by DUGES and Enviro Soc, and a Mindfulness Morning with DU Meditation. However, the “show-stealer” of the week, according to Ní Lochlainn, is expected to be the workshop taking place on Thursday evening with Blindboy Boatclub  of the Rubberbandits. A Masterclass Workshop in Creativity, Wellness and Mental Health, this event will be hosted by the Rubberbandits’ “lad-turned-mental-health-activist” and will focus on the impact mental well being can have on creativity. It also promises to teach skills relevant to college students in particular, such as methods for dealing with exam deadlines and efficiency.

For more information on Mental Health Week, check out TCDSU’s website or the Mental Health Week 2017 Facebook page.

Mary Hartnett

Mary Hartnett is the current Managing Editor of Trinity News. She is a Senior Sophister BESS student, and a former Trinity Life Editor.