NUI Galway launch free rent book

The 10 page book offers advice on how to secure suitable accommodation as well as guidance on dealing with landlords and housemates

National University of Ireland, Galway Students’ Union (NUIGSU), partnering with Winter Properties, have announced a launch of a free rent book to students looking for accommodation for the upcoming academic year.

The 10 page book offers advice on how to secure suitable accommodation as well as guidance on how to maintain a good relationship with landlords and housemates.

NUIGSU have also appealed to potential landlords to consider renting rooms to students. Homeowners who provide accommodation to students can receive a tax break of up to €14,000 per annum.

Rooms for rent are advertised on the university’s accommodation website in the form of digs or rental agreements. The scheme also appeals for landlords to accommodate students who are only staying one semester for those who are reluctant to commit to leasing for the entire year.

Speaking in a press release, NUIGSU President Lorcán Maoileannaigh said: “The lack of accommodation here in Galway City has now become a serious issue putting access to education at risk for many students. We are inundated with queries from students looking for accommodation.”

Maoileannaigh continued: “In particular there are a huge amount of visiting students that will just be attending NUI Galway for one semester, September to December or January to May, who are desperately in need of accommodation. We would encourage anyone with a spare room to strongly consider renting to a student as soon as possible.”

According to the Irish Times, rates for NUIG student accommodation has risen 3% to €5,000 per annum over the last year, with a spokesperson saying that rent will not increase this September.