TCDSU Council Round-Up

An overview of the motions passed at tonight’s first TCDSU Council

The first Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) took place this evening in the Stanley Quek theatre in TBSI.  

Former USI President Annie Hoey appointed to TCDSU Board of Trustees. Kevin Keane, TCDSU President, proposed the motion while it was seconded by TCDSU Welfare Office Alice MacPherson. Keane noted that during his presidency, Hoey has already “been of excellent use in terms of advice2” An excellent choice who would steer the Union well into the future”

Two new campaigns for student poverty and single-use plastic were launched. The campaign goal is to eliminate single-use plastics on Trinity’s campus. The union is now mandated to look into practical measures to ease the burden of poverty and impacts poverty has had in regard to dropout rates and food poverty, as well campaign against the use of single-use plastics on campus.

Education Officer Alice MacPherson, proposed a motion on a yearly report for class rep elections. The motion went to vote after MacPherson spoke to Council about class representative elections. When voting closed for the elections earlier this month 172 class did not elect a class representative. Questions were raised over the ratio to students and class representatives, the timing of the elections, voting places, and how students on placement can vote. A lot of issues were raised in relation to Junior Freshmen elections and the lack of information surrounding them. MacPherson spoke about the option of an online voting system for future elections.

A motion was passed for a new LGBTQ sub-committee. The sub-committee will work towards a more diverse representation of the LGBTQ community within the SU. The committee will be chaired by the LGBT Rights Officer and members will be chosen by a transparent application process with a sabbatical officer and the LGBT Rights Officer as the panel. LGBT Officer Noah O’Brien said: “Getting help with all these different mandates and campaigns would mean I would be able to bring a higher quality to these events on campus.”

A motion on the booking of class rep training was passed that will see the Education Officer responsible for booking the subsequent year’s class rep training venue. The Council noted that the booking and training for class rep training requires a high number of work hours for the Education Officer and is a significant expense for the Union when organised after the Education Officer for the academic year is elected. Speaking in favour of the motions, MacPherson said: “Last minute bookings lead to increased costs and confusions.”

The creation of a new Communities Liaison Part Time Officer, was also passed. Cathal Hennessy was elected into this role. The officer will have the responsibility for fostering a sense of community for Trinity students in the suburbs of Dublin. The new position follows the increased number of students living in the suburbs of Dublin at increasing distances from Trinity’s main campus.  

The Communications committee was increased to five members, with the new members selected by the Communications and Marketing Officer. Speaking at Council, Communications and Marketing Officer, Úna Harty pointed out that it was one of her manifesto points to increase the size of the committee. She stated that the current committee has “two members but deserves five”.

Additional reporting by Lauren Boland, Ciaran Sunderland, Rory O’Neill, Michael Foley and Niamh Lynch.

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.