Two new student-led publications launched in recent weeks

Both The Red Pen and The Colloquium will cover political issues

Photo by Joe McCallion

Two new publications have launched in Trinity in recent weeks. The Red Pen formerly known as the Trinity Progressive will aim to be the voice “for the campus left”, discussing “social, economic and environmental justice, human rights, LGBTQIA+ rights, and feminism.” The publication was launched by Maia Mathieu. 

Speaking to Trinity News, Mathieu said: There’s a frustration within the campus left about the centrist bent of mainstream journalism both on and off campus, and creating The Red Pen gives us a forum to discuss news and current events from a progressive perspective”.

Meanwhile, The Colloquium promises to be the voice of “any and all opinions”. The online student-led publication aims “to push the debate amongst the students of Trinity”.

Speaking to Trinity News, Sebastian Strohmayer, co-editor and one of the founders of The Colloquium said the idea for the publication came to him when he was on Erasmus. Strohmayer, a fourth year History student said there is always “space for more debate in the college and that there was no publication or medium exploring that”. He added: “Students always need the chance to push debate and not be isolated from other opinions”.

Cahal Sweeney, co-editor and fourth year History and Politics student said the publication will be a crucial written source of debate and an “alternative to the GMB culture of debate”.

The publication will offer four main sections on debate in Trinity and Ireland, a head to head debate section, interviews, graphics, and art. The publication also has a website in development. Strohmayer added that the magazine has an advantage as they are not rushing the development process. “We want to use this year as a grassroot foundation year.”

Print editions of the Colloquium will be dependent on the funding they receive; the publication has applied to both Trinity Publications and TCD Alumni for grants. However, no other sources of funding has been considered.

The team behind the Colloquium recently started to accept submissions for its first issues of term.

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.