Trinity Hall neighbours appeal council decision on allowing Trinity to house tourists during the Summer

More than 12 residents of the Dublin 6 suburb seek to stall the university’s application to amend previous planning permission

The decision of Dublin City Council to allow Trinity Hall to be used for tourism purposes has been appealed by more than a dozen of the South Dublin site’s neighbours.

Last month, Dublin City Council approved Trinity’s application to amend previous planning permission which stated that Trinity Hall could be used for student accommodation purposes only. The application, which was made in early 2017, was subject to strong opposition from neighbouring residents, many of whom have now appealed the decision of the planning authority.

Many of the letters of objection submitted centred around alcohol consumption and noise pollution.

Richview Resident’s Association, has described Trinity Hall and it’s inhabitants as “bad neighbours” ever since the original planning permission was granted in the 1990s. The association further commented that there was no policing of student behaviour and that many neighbouring residents have installed electric gates to prevent students from entering their gardens and engaging in “indecent behaviour”.

At the beginning of the academic year, residents of Trinity Hall attended a compulsory talk by local Gardai focusing on the importance of respecting the residents of the surrounding neighbourhood with particular emphasis on Temple Road, the road linking Trinity Hall to the Milltown Luas stop.

The appellants have also said that Trinity are breaching the original planning permission since 2004 by allowing tourists to stay in Halls during the Summer months. Dublin City Council has previously written to the University to caution them about this unauthorised use of the accommodation complex outside of term time.

The appeal will subject the planning decision made by Dublin City Council to an independent review by An Bord Pleanála. The decision of the board is usually delivered within 18 weeks. The decision is final and it’s validity can only be challenged by way of judicial review.

Michael Gilna

Michael Gilna is a former Investigations Editor of Trinity News.