University of Limerick lifts suspension of two whistleblowers

The whistleblowers had raised issues regarding the irregular practises of UL

The suspension of two whistleblowers, only known as B and C, has been lifted by the President of  University of Limerick (UL), Des Fitzgerald. The two whistleblowers raised issues regarding the irregular practises of the university.

The lift of the suspension is a response to the Thorns report. The 122-page report published November 8 by Dr Richard Thorn, criticised  the university  for its spending irregularities among other actions. The report was carried out by the Higher Education Authority (HEA) and Department of Education and  Skills.

Kieran Fitzgerald, former director general of the Workplace Relations Commision, has also been appointed to act as a mediator with the staff who have issues described by the Thorns report. The university is also restructuring senior staff. 

Des Fitzgerald has expressed that these actions shows the response of the university to the issues raised by the report and attempting to rebuild trust.

The President also acknowledged that 2017 was a particularly difficult year for UL and has apologised to staff, students, alumni and the people of Limerick.

Limerick has been the focus of a number of controversies in recent years, including staff settlement payments. Concerns surrounding the university’s financial irregularities and practices date to statements of three whistleblowers from within the university in 2012.