Huawei announce research collaboration with Trinity

The partnership will focus on the fields of video intelligence and artificial intelligence

Huawei, the leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider, have today announced a research partnership with Trinity.

The collaboration will focus mainly on video intelligence and how the emerging area of artificial intelligence will impact our society. The announcement was made at an event in Regent house. Huawei’s business partners, members of the Oireachtas, academics, and Huawei staff were present.

Speaking at the event today, Provost Patrick Prendergast said: “As a research intensive university, Trinity is a key driver of research and innovation collaborations with industry. Our world class academics and researchers are collaborating with Huawei in this critical digital area.”

“Our advances in technology and artificial intelligence are set to revolutionise the world we live in, and our joint efforts with Huawei in this innovative space will endeavour to strive for new breakthroughs in a rapidly emerging area that is to have a far-reaching impact on society into the future.”

The event also marked the return of ten Irish Science, Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) undergraduate students from Huawei’s “Seeds for the Future” programme. The four-week programme saw students receive cultural, business and technical training in China. 30 Irish STEM students have participated in the programme since its launch in 2015.

Also speaking at the event, Deputy Chairman and Rotating Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Huawei, Guo Ping, said: “The Trinity partnership, as part of our growing research and development (R&D) commitment, highlights our long-term dedication to investment and opportunities in Ireland. We are continuing to tap into Ireland’s growing clusters of video, artificial intelligence, cloud, telecoms and technology businesses, nurturing future talent and providing additional new opportunities for highly-skilled professionals.”

Ping also announced the expansion of of the company’s R&D operation in Cork, which will grow to nearly 20 staff.

Huawei currently employ over 160 people in Dublin, Athlone and Cork, with its R&D investment in Ireland growing to €17.7million in 2017. The company had a global turnover of €63.7 billion in 2016.

Michael Gilna

Michael Gilna is a former Investigations Editor of Trinity News.