Science Gallery to celebrate its 10th year

Next year’s exhibitions will look at fake aspects of people’s lives, Life at the Edges and Intimacy

Trinity’s Science Gallery has launched its program for 2018 to celebrate its ten years anniversary.

The Science Gallery, located on Pearse Street saw 400,000 visitors last year and a total of nearly 3 million since its opening nine years ago. The gallery hopes to continue its momentum by launching its 2018 program. Visitors have experienced more than 38 unique exhibitions, including materials science to art experiments.

Next year the Science Gallery will launch three new exhibitions, which aim to explore the biggest challenges of our time.

First to launch is the exhibition titled ‘fake’, which aims to ask questions such as ‘why do we fake some aspects of our lives’ and ‘how to spot a lie’. The Science Gallery have described the exhibition as a focus on “how things appear, a fake may be just as valuable as the real thing. But what about faking taste, emotions, chemical signatures, facts and trademarks? Have patents, politics and art given copying a bad name?”. The exhibition will ask “when is authenticity essential, copying cool, and what is the boundary between a phoney faux-pas and a really fantastic FAKE?” Fake will run from march 2 to june 3.

The second exhibition called ‘Life at the edges’, will explore climate change and its impact on our world today. The exhibition will ask questions such as “How do things survive in outer space, on the bottom of the ocean or inside volcanoes? Why do extreme environments excite our imagination and our drive to explore? How do inhospitable environs inspire new technologies, designs and methods?” . The exhibition will showcase  scientists and designers working to prepare for living in places such as lava tubes, Antarctic mountaintops, or Martian permafrost. Life at the edges will run from june 22 to August 30.

The final exhibition at the gallery, ‘Intimacy’, will examine the science and art connection between humans, bringing together neuroscience, belief and trust. The exhibition will ask “How does brain chemistry change when your parents first see your face? Does absence really make the heart grow fonder? Can our bodies align physiologically when we spend a lot of time with a person?”. Intimacy  will explore “how electronic interconnectedness may be disrupting traditional notions of togetherness, opening new avenues for connection, or killing off intimacy altogether.”‘Intimacy runs from October 2018 to February 2019.

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.