This week in Trinity: how to beat the post-Refreshers blues

From dancing and board games to politics and protest, there’s plenty to keep you busy on campus this week

Photo by Joe McCallion / Trinity News

It’s official: Hilary term has begun. Last week’s plan of easing yourself into the college routine may have disappeared along with all your new year’s resolutions. With that said, here’s a quick run through of some of the fabulous events around campus this week.

Monday is the start of a jam-packed week, beginning with the soothing Oga Yoga in Seomra na Gaeilge at 5pm , a six week activity hosted by Cumann Gaelach. An hour later at  6pm, Tedx TCD will conclude their highly anticipated Student Speaker Competition, hosted in the GMB.

Simultaneously,  DU Dance Trinity will begin their dance classes; a perfect way to keep that resolution of staying in shape and having a bit of craic too.

These classes progress over 6 weeks and include Hip Hop on Mondays, Jazz on Tuesdays and Ballet on Thursdays. Each of these lessons will be held in room 3074 of the arts block at 6pm.

Tuesday offers a variety of intriguing events that cater to all personalities. Head over to House 6 at 4pm to show your support for the Aramark Off our Campus campaign, where posters will be made ahead of Wednesday’s protest. For those of you with a flair for politics, at 5.30 pm the Hist will be presenting former Minister for Finance Michael Noonan with the Society’s Gold Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Public Discourse in the GMB.

Additionally, hop over to Seomra na Gaeilge at 7pm  and flaunt your Irish speaking skills in a night of board games. Then why not end your night in Sweetmans and participate in the DU PsychSoc EGM & Pub Quiz from 7pm to 10pm; rally a team of four and the night is yours.

Wednesday begins fully charged with putting the posters from the day before to use, as Aramark off our Campus kicks off their first protest outside Westland Eats cafe at 12pm. That afternoon at 4.30pm, Ireland’s leading environmental writer, John Gibbons, will be speaking on the topic of climate change in House 6; a talk not to be missed.

Wednesday’s events will conclude with LitSoc’s Young Adult literature Panel, in which renowned authors including Claire Hennessy, Dave Rudden, Peadar Ó’Guilín, and Moira Fowling Doyle will lend their thoughts to the world of fiction. This is an event not to be missed by any bookworm and can be found in the Thomas Davis Theatre at 6pm.

If books aren’t quite your preferred area of interest then simply head over to Trinity Hall at 7pm to witness the Semi-finals Halls Dragons Den, where the audience will cast their vote on the contestants. If you’re still looking for something alternative then head over to Room 3126 of the arts block where Trinity Space Society will be hosting an out of this world discussion on Terraforming from 7pm to 10pm.

Thursday is dominated by the Trinity Women’s Open, beginning at 9am as a “day of debating, debauchery, and dismantling the patriarchy!” Following this, head over to the Arts Block with a few questions for MEP Brian Hayes who will be speaking with Europa at 12:15pm and discussing his role in parliament. For those of us fearing  life after college, then fear no more. Simply head over to the Westin Dublin Hotel where LawSoc will be hosting a night of internship ideas’ and potential careers.

If you too are already counting down the days till RAG week, you’ll be pleased to read that TCDSU and ENTS are bringing you the official launch at 7pm in the college chapel, accompanied by The Ocelots and The Trinitones in a night to be remembered.

Half an hour later, DU Music are hosting their first Open Mic night of Hilary Term. The event is taking place at  7.30pm upstairs in O’Donoghues Bar on Suffolk Street and is a warm up event for their singer-songwriter contest taking place in Week 6.

Friday is surely the start of an amazing weekend for those of you lucky enough to have obtained a ticket for INSMOT by VDP; a weekend away in Meath packed with workshops and activities for all to envy.  

Mairéad McCarthy

Mairéad McCarthy is a former Deputy Life Editor for Trinity News.