Alternative teacher offered to students following complaints about Dr. Ali Selim

Students submitted a letter of complaint concerning Dr. Selim to Head of Department

Following a letter sent by Trinity students, “parallel Arabic language classes” will now be offered to facilitate students who have complained about lecturer Dr. Ali Selim. College have stated that a letter of complaint has been sent to the Head of Near and Middle Eastern studies by Trinity students.

Selim, in an appearance on RTE’s Prime Time on February 8, stated that he was an “advocate” of female circumcision, and stated that it should be permitted with a doctor’s approval.

Speaking to Trinity News, Tom Molloy, Director of Public Affairs and Communications, said: “In response to complaints from a large number of Dr Ali Selim’s students, Trinity College Dublin will facilitate parallel Arabic language classes by a second teacher. This will ensure that students who have criticised Dr Selim in a letter to their head of school will have the option to take lessons and exams with a new teacher.”

Molloy had sent a statement to Trinity students and staff on February 12, that “Trinity College Dublin utterly condemns female genital mutilation in all circumstances. Both the university’s teaching body and students believe that the practice is always wrong”. Molloy furthered these comments by saying that Selim was working part-time in the university teaching Arabic classes.

This follows Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) President, Kevin Keane, calling for Selim’s immediate dismissal from College. In a letter to Provost Patrick Prendergast, Keane said: “By doing nothing, our University provides a platform and a degree of legitimacy to this man – we must act swiftly and decisively to strip him of that legitimacy.”

Seana Davis is a fourth year Geology student and News Editor of Trinity News.