Students gather outside House 1 ahead of decision on supplemental exam fees

The College Board is meeting today to discuss the fees

Photo by Sarah Meehan

As a meeting of the College Board took place inside to decide on the implementation of supplemental exam, students gathered outside House 1 in Front Square to voice their anguish at the 450 proposal.

Portesting began in silence, with several dozen students on the steps on the house, draped in banners and holding placards. As numbers increased, chants and speeches began from students and supports, including an Unite representative, Solidarity TD Paul Murphy and People Before Profit TD Brid Smith.

The Board meeting today was scheduled months ago, and will be attended by many of College’s most senior staff. Board members include the provost, vice provost, College bursar, registar and senior lecturer, as well as Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) Sabbatical Officers Kevin Keane, Alice MacPherson and Damien McClean and Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) President Shane Collins.

Following a wave of protests against the introduction of the fees, covered by national media, Provost Patrick Prendergast announced that he would “seriously consider” the fee proposal.

The provost met with Keane and Collins twice last week to discuss the fees as well as the a freeze on price hikes of non-EU and postgraduate fees and on-campus accommodation. These issues are all expected to be raised at the Board meeting today. 

Aisling Grace

Aisling Grace was the Editor-in-Chief of the 66th Volume of Trinity News. She was also formerly Online Editor and Deputy News Editor.