Trinity welcomes “wind down” of fee protests and occupation

The university’s management will consider alternative proposals on supplemental exam fees, they said

Photo by Joe McCallion

College “welcomes the decision by the Students’ Union and Graduate Students’ Union to wind down protests and the occupancy of buildings,” according to a press statement sent by Trinity Communications.

“The university’s management has undertaken to consider alternative proposals on supplemental exam fees, modular billing and postgraduate/non EU fees at the next Board meeting.”

“There has been good dialogue over the past few days and we now have an agreement between students and university management. This will see the protests winding down. The university is now looking forward to renewing student partnership in the coming days and weeks,” Vice-Provost Chris Morash said today.  

The occupation of Trinity’s Dining hall came to end this afternoon. The 50 students who took part decided to end after Provost Patrick Prendergast tweeted that he would “seriously consider alternative proposals on supplemental  exam fees, modular billing & PG/Non-EU fees at the next Board meeting”.

A press statement released by the campaign said: “This has been recognised as a step forward by the campaign. However, we plan to continue our direct actions until our three demands have been met. We will continue to escalate our protests until our demands our met.”  

A concert took place in Front Square earlier today to show support for the students occuping the Dining Hall and the protests against supplemental exam fees. The concert was arranged by Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU).

Sarah Meehan

Sarah is a 2nd year German and Economics student.