€1440 per month student beds to open in Point Village on Friday

The beds range in price from €230 to €360 a week

The Tramshed and The Woodworks, a new luxury purpose-built student accommodation development, is scheduled to open in the Point Village on Friday, offering beds ranging in price from €230 to €360 a week.

The Tramshed and The Woodworks is the most recent addition to Dublin’s luxury purpose-built student accommodation developments, with prices for the Classic Room option starting at €230 per week, or €920 per month, all bills inclusive. The most expensive option, the Penthouse Premium Studio, goes for €360 per week, or €1440 per month.

Last year, Trinity students criticised College for advertising apartments in Kavanagh Court at €239 per week, or over €950 per month. Students in Dublin City University (DCU) and National University of Ireland (Galway) are currently involved in disputes with student accommodation providers over high rent costs.

The residential building is set to hold 367 beds, and forming part of a larger development, holding 966 beds upon completion. The development is owned by Host student accommodation company.

It is expected that the remaining 599 rooms will open before the end of the year. Students can stay in the property for contracts of 40 or 51 weeks.

Host is owned by the O’Flynn group, a residential company active in the UK and Europe. Managing Director of Host Michael O’Flynn stated: “this high quality development offers students in Dublin access to state of the art accommodation which is designed to cater exactly to their needs.”

“Host has been developing and managing an extensive range of top quality student accommodation in the UK over many years and is delighted to bring this to the Dublin market with the launch of the superb new Tramshed development,” O’Flynn continued.

The development provides double beds, a gym, a cinema, lounge rooms with TVs, and a roof terrace, among others. It advertises that it is located close to Busáras and Connolly station, and that residents can “take a stroll down the Liffey and be at Trinity College and the city’s other universities in no time”.

As Dublin’s housing crisis continues, affordability concerns sparked Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil to propose rent caps on purpose-built student accommodation earlier this summer. Price hikes of 15 to 20% have been seen this year in student accomodation, with many students priced out of accomodation in the city centre.

Trinity students are currently supporting a housing occupation on North Frederick Street which has been ongoing over the last two weeks. Occupiers at 34 North Frederick Street are protesting the housing crisis in Dublin. The activists are calling on the government to implement rent caps of €300, or 20% of a person’s income. They are also demanding the compulsory purchase of 33 to 39 Summerhill Parade, where another occupation took place earlier this month, and all other vacant property in Dublin.

Bridget Maloney

Bridget Maloney is a staff writer for Trinity News, and a Senior Fresh History and Politics student.