Trinity Finance team nominated at British Accountancy awards

The Financial Services Division are nominated for finance team of the year

Trinity’s Financial Services Division (FSD) have been shortlisted for best finance team of the year at the British Accountancy Awards (BAA). They are contesting the category alongside Capital One, AgDevCo, Paddy Power Betfair, Smart DCC Limited, University of Edinburgh and Woldmarsh Producers Ltd.

Trinity recently won the Irish Accountancy Award for best finance team in April, beating CDE Global Finance and Accounts Team, Fexco, MBS Retail and TV3. Last year’s winner of the BAA’s, Pladis Global, was not nominated for the award this year.

Speaking to Trinity News, the finance team outlined their pride at the nomination. They said: “External validation, in any walk of life, is an important measure of success. As the British Accountancy Awards attract entrants from every sector of business, including our peers in the Russell Group of Universities, being shortlisted recognises our strong performance.”

The nominated finance team is led by Chief Financial Officer Ian Mathews, who has led the division since 2009. His job involves providing and strengthening the financial foundations of the university. He is also a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland. He leads a senior management team of nine others.

The team also addressed organisational changes made in past years under Mathews and said: “FSD is proud of our team’s transformation and our ongoing commitment to delivering the University’s strategic vision by living our values.”

The team continued: “Being part of this shortlist of 7 in this category gives us additional confidence that we can and will deliver Trinity’s goals in partnership with the wider University community and students and staff.”

The list of judges includes Glenn Collins, the head of Technical Advisory at the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, Simon Wright, the operations and accounts director of careersinaudit.com, and Sue Almond, the head of assurance market development at Grant Thornton International.

The awards ceremony takes place on September 26.

FSD has been criticised in recent days for decisions regarding student fees. College recently rolled back its decision to charge 5% increases to continuing international and postgraduate students. However, according to Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union, this was due to a “difference in understanding and there was wasn’t any malice on the part of College”.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.