Book of Kells replaced by replica

The famous book is being temporarily replaced

The Book of Kells is being temporarily replaced by a copy in the Old Library.

The Book of Kells exhibition released a statement today announcing that the Book of Kells is currently not on display. Instead, “visitors may view a fine art copy of the Book of Kells in the beautiful 18th-century Library building”.

The statement advised that other attractions in the exhibition, such as the Brian Boru harp and a copy of the 1916 Proclamation, are still available for guests to visit.

Online bookings for the Book of Kells are currently not available on the official visitor website. Prospective visitors are advised to purchase tickets from the ticket desk at the entrance to the Book of Kells exhibition.

With Culture Night taking place this Friday, the Books of Kells exhibition is to be open to the public for free for four hours in the evening. A statement on the official Book of Kells Facebook page released last week announced that visitors could come to the free event on Culture Night to “see the manuscript itself in the flesh and explore the spectacular Long Room”. It is unclear whether the real Book of Kells is to be returned to the Library in advance of this event.

This summer, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visited the Book of Kells as part of their two-day trip to Ireland. The trip marked their first official overseas visit as a married couple.

Trinity recently announced a new online course which allows people around the world to learn about the history of Ireland through the Book of Kells. The course, which is set to launch on October 8, is free of charge.