College receives first phase of €4 million Arts Building revamp

The renovations will be completed in summer 2019

Trinity has introduced new student spaces in the Arts Building, launching the first phase of planned renovations to the building. The first stage of the €4 million development began this summer and focused on the third and fourth floors of the building, with new seating “pods” a key addition on the ground floor.

Speaking to Trinity News, College Bursar Veronica Campbell said that the aim of the project is to “improve the student experience and provide more informal learning spaces”.

Trinity has added multiple seating “pods” to its lower floor furnishings, while also adding carpeting and various other improvements to student spaces on the third, fourth, and fifth floors. The new seating arrangements are located on the second floor, outside of the Davis and Burke theatres.

Campbell praised the new seating arrangements and said that “the pods are already getting a lot of use and reflect the more dynamic colour palette that is being incorporated into the building as part of the project”.

The refurbishment did not involve lecture theatres, which were not considered to be in “bad condition”. Campbell spoke at a town hall meeting organised last year and noted that the renovation would focus on “targeted cosmetic intervention in areas where the team think there will be the most benefit to people”.

Campbell concluded by recognising the costs associated with the project and said that “the new furniture in the Arts Block has been possible due to funding generated by the Commercial Revenue Unit”. This is because Trinity has received no funding for maintenance from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) since 2011.

Peter Kelly

Peter Kelly is the current Assistant Editor of Trinity News. He is a Junior Sophister Law student, and a former Deputy News Editor.