Trinity falls in Arts and Humanities rankings

Trinity places 96 in the 2019 THE Arts and Humanities subject rankings

Trinity has fallen 15 places in Arts and Humanities in the 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) subject rankings, slipping to 96 in the latest rankings released today from 81 last year.

Stanford University has retained its top spot as first in the world in Arts and Humanities, followed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Oxford in second and third place respectively.

The THE subject rankings score third level institutions based on citations, industry income, international outlook, research, and teaching to calculate overall scores and rankings.

Trinity received an overall score of 46.2 in Arts and Humanities, scoring its highest mark in international outlook with 82.1. Trinity’s lowest mark came in industry income with only 35.3 points.

Trinity rose 23 places in Education in the 2019 THE subject rankings, from 99 last year to 76 in rankings released earlier this month.

College saw a similar rise in its Social Sciences rankings, climbing up the ranks from 126-150 to 101-125.­ Its position in the Business and Economics rankings has remained stable in the 151-175 bracket.

However, this year’s decrease in its Arts and Humanities rank sees Trinity return to a recent downward trend in global rankings. Trinity took a dip in the 2019 THE World University Rankings, falling three places to 120, although retaining its position as Ireland’s highest-placed university.

Trinity slid down to 104 in the 2019 QS world university rankings, falling 16 places from where it had previously sat in the top 100 at 88. College gradually fell in the QS rankings over three years from 2015 to 2017, before rising 10 places in the 2018 rankings. University College Dublin (UCD) placed 193, while National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG) ranked 260, in second and third place in Ireland respectively.