Trinity rises in Social Science and Education rankings

Increase in subject rankings contrasts downwards ranking trend in recent months

Trinity has risen 23 places in Education in the 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) subject rankings, from 99 last year to 76 in the latest rankings released today.

Trinity also saw a rise in its Social Sciences rankings, climbing up the ranks from 126-150 to 101-125.­ Its position in the Business and Economics rankings has remained stable in the 151-175 bracket.

Last year, Oxford University topped the global rankings for Social Sciences, while Stanford University held top place in Education and Business and Economics.

College’s increase in subject rankings stands in contrast to a downward trend that has been seen in its rankings in recent months. Trinity took a dip in the 2019 THE World University Rankings, falling three places to 120, although retaining its position as Ireland’s highest-placed university.

Trinity’s Dean of Research Professor Linda Doyle explained it is “a measure of how competitive the field is that better performance on [Trinity’s] part is not reflected in the [overall] rankings”.

“It is essential that we remain highly ranked to ensure that Irish students can continue to avail of an internationally competitive higher education. It is important for Ireland, not just for Trinity,” continued Doyle. “The fact that Trinity has remained in the top 120 global universities over successive years is testament to the quality of our university.”

Trinity slid down to 104 in the 2019 QS world university rankings, falling 16 places from where it had previously sat in the top 100 at 88. College gradually fell in the QS rankings over three years from 2015 to 2017, before rising 10 places in the 2018 rankings. University College Dublin (UCD) placed 193, while National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG) ranked 260, in second and third place in Ireland respectively.

THE is set to publish further subject rankings over the next month, when Trinity can expect to learn how it ranks in Arts and Sciences for 2019.